In hopes of recovering from all of the treats and processed foods I ate over the holiday, I decided to make something that was packed with nutrients. This meal only has 8 ingredients and is made up of 100% real food.
I kept the seasoning very simple. Just salt, pepper, and olive oil. This is usually how I season my veggies because it just makes the meal feel cleaner to me.
I like to quarter the tomatoes so they cook more evenly with the peas 🙂
I aso find that the vegetables cook more quickly if I put a cover over the skillet for a few minutes at a time.
When the asparagus is done cooking, I like to mix the peas, tomatoes, spinach & rice on the asparagus baking sheet to pick up the delicious roasted flavor.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 8 grape tomatoes
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- huge handful of spinach
- 1 cup brown rice
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash the asparagus and cut the ends off. Cut the asparagus into thirds, put the pieces on the baking sheet, and then season with olive oil, salt & pepper. (I never really measure the olive oil or spices…just use enough so that all of the asparagus pieces are evenly coated but not drenched lol.. then it would be WAY too oily)
- Put the asparagus in the oven and roast for about 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Heat the skillet on a medium heat setting and drizzle the pan with olive oil.
- Pour the peas into the skillet and add some salt and pepper.
- Cut the grape tomatoes into quarters and add them into the skillet once the peas are defrosted and starting to soften. Periodically cover the skillet to speed the cooking time along. Mix the veggies periodically.
- When the tomatoes and peas are soft and begin to brown slightly along the edges, add the baby spinach and cover the skillet until the spinach shrivels. Then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Once the asparagus is done, add the sautéed veggies to the baking sheet with the asparagus and mix. Mix in the brown rice.
This turned out to be extremely satisfying and full of flavor even though the ingredients were very simple. AND it had 4 different veggies. Definitely going to be making this combo again. Have any ideas for a different veggie rice combo? Post a comment below 🙂