This egg sandwich is the perfect start to a busy day. If I know that I’m going to be out and about for most of the day, I always try to include some veggies in my breakfast. I do this because most of the snacks/lunches I pack to eat on the go are usually lacking in vegetables and when I’m really busy I’m more likely to sneak a treat from the vending machine or local coffee shop. If I include veggies in my breakfast, I know that I got in some good nutrients for at least one meal if all else fails! LOL. I like this particular sandwich because I usually still have time to make it, even if I’m in a rush 🙂
Ingredients: (Makes 1 sandwich)
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of whole grain/multi grain toast (I used Whole Food’s Market Seeduction Bread)
- handful of arugula
- 1 small tomato sliced (I used 1 cherry tomato)
- about 1 teaspoon of butter (enough to coat the pan when melted)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
**In order to save time and minimize the mess, I sautéed the tomatoes in the same pan as the eggs.
- Melt butter in a skillet and swirl it around until it coats the entire pan. Crack the eggs right into the pan. Add salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Toast the bread. Slice the tomato.
- After flipping the eggs, make room in the pan and add the tomato slices. Cook the eggs until they are the desired consistency (I don’t like mine to be runny at all). Cook the tomatoes until they are softened and juicy 🙂
- Put a handful of arugula on the toast, add the tomatoes, place the egg on top and enjoy!
I was extra hungry this morning (but not hungry enough to make two sandwiches lol) so I made an extra egg and threw in some blueberries to satisfy my relentless sweet tooth. I definitely recommend this one for busy mornings of busy days!